Are you considering software development? If yes, you’re at the right place!
In this blog, we’ve covered 20 things you should know about software development. Whether you’re a software developer or want to avail software development service, knowing these basic yet significant things can help you gain an advantageous edge.
1) Understand your customer’s business: To understand what needs to be done precisely helps you achieve it easily and aptly. Understand the customer’s perspective and business to know exactly what you need to deliver.
2) Communication: Communicate, whether it is a minute change or a setback, discuss, clarify and deliver the best possible end result.
3) Programming Languages: You need to be a pro at the programming language. Know the programming languages well enough to know how you can use them to the best of their advantage.
4) Scripting: Just like programming languages, scripting languages also play a crucial role in developing the perfect software, make sure you’re well-versed with them.
5) Database: You should be proficient with databases and know how to manipulate data and write multiple queries to retrieve needful data.
6) Source Control: Source control tools provide a running history of code development & help resolve conflicts. It is important that you get the hang of it.
7) Test your Code: Testing the code is as crucial as developing it, it is an important part of the process. There are innumerable tests that are to be performed to perfect the code.
8) Basic Concepts of Management: Familiarize yourself with the concepts of project management that will help work in teams, organize the work and ace the projects.
9) Save your Code Changes: Don’t risk your sanity and data. Save the code changes as and when you do them.
10) Networking Basics: It is of the essence to understand the networking basics to understand, develop, deploy and support your application.
11) Text- Editors: Text-editors play a key role in the development process. Pick a favorite editor, learn keyboard shortcuts and increase your productivity.
12) Cross-Platform Software: It’s important for a developer to understand how to design a product that is compatible with a maximum number of systems.
13) Encryptions & Cryptography: It is expected from a developer to know about how encryption algorithms work, how authentication works and how cryptography methods work.
14) SDLC(Software development life cycle): SDLC is a step-by-step systematic process to develop software ensuring its quality and correctness. If you are planning to become a software developer you should know the proper life cycle of software from requirement analysis to maintenance of the product.
15) Debugging: Catching the bugs and getting rid of them ensures an error-free end result. Get, set to debug like a pro!
16) Development Tools: Development tools are extremely important for the developers to understand and gain proficiency in, it helps ensure speedy and accurate development.
17) Defensive Programming: One of the most crucial things to master, it is a defensive design intended to ensure the continuing function of a piece of software under unforeseen circumstances.
18) Cloud Computing: Acing cloud computing can help you become more efficient and achieve increased security, reduced costs, improved scalability, ease of deployment and improved flexibility.
19) Time Management: Learn to manage time efficiently to ensure speedy development. Make sure you have enough time for testing before delivering the software and deploying it.
20) Avoid Overthinking or Overdoing: Keep it simple and efficient. If you keep contemplating to find flaws in the code, you might overdo or complicate it.
To know more about software development, speak with our experts!
At Abaca, we have a team of diligent and proficient software developers that are highly knowledgeable and can assist you well!